HISTORY OF SOFIA IN YOUR POCKET
Sofia is the capital and largest city of Bulgaria. 1.26 million people live in the city and 1.68 million people live in its metropolitan area The city is at the foot of Vitosha Mountain in the western part of the country, within a 50 kilometres (31 mi) drive from the Serbian border. Being in the centre of the Balkan peninsula, it is midway between the Black Sea and the Adriatic Sea.
Sofia became capital of Bulgaria as recently as 1879, taking the leading position from Veliko Tarnovo after six hundred years.
Evidence has been found that Sofia was inhabited as early as 7000 years ago. Thracian and Roman remains can still be seen dotted around the city – in the underpass in front of the presidency; behind the Military Club, and behind the Sheraton hotel.
Under Thracian and later Roman rule Sofia was known as Serdika, from the middle of the 6th century the Byzantines renamed it Triaditsa and from the 9th century onwards during the First Bulgarian Kingdom it took on the Slavonic name of Sredets.
The city finally became known as Sofia from the beginning of the 15th century taking on the name Sofia, from St. Sofia church.
Sofia’s coat of arms was designed in 1900. The City’s motto “grows but does not age” was added a year later.